a recipe by ruled.me
- 6 Bone-in Chicken Thighs (~32 oz.)
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Chipotle Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Coriander
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Oregano
- Pinch Cayenne
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Mix the spice blend together using all of the ingredients listed above (except for the olive oil, chicken, salt and pepper).
2. Start to de-bone the chicken thighs. Using kitchen shears, cut a direct line above the bone going through the thigh.
3. Using the scissors, cut around the bone until you can lift it out of the chicken. Make sure to get as close to the bone as possible – you don’t want too much wasted meat.
4. Cut around the end that is still attached and remove the bone from the chicken. Do this for all the chicken thighs. Cut off excess skin as needed.
5. Lay the chicken on top of paper towels. Season with salt and pepper, then with your seasonings mix. Liberally coat the chicken meat (skin side should be on the paper towel still).
6. Using a meat hammer, lightly pound the chicken to get a consistent width. You want this to cook evenly.
7. Flip the chicken over so that the skin is now facing you. Coat with salt and pepper, then cut each thigh in half.
8. Heat 1 tbsp. Olive Oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat on the stove.
9. Once the pan is hot, add chicken thighs skin side down into the pan. Let this cook for 8-10 minutes. Do this in batches – half first, half afterward.
10. Cover your pan with a grease catcher to keep the excess grease from going everywhere.
11. After 8-10 minutes, flip the chicken over and cook on the other side for 2-4 minutes.
12. Optional: Wilt some spinach down in the remaining chicken fat and server with lemon to squeeze lightly over the chicken thighs.
This makes a total of 12 Crispy Chipotle Chicken Thigh Halves. Each serving is 3 halves, coming out to597 Calories, 53.5g Fats, 1g Net Carb, and 28g Protein.