Cauliflower serves as a great substitute to rice or other grains. It’s versatility makes this recipe Keto friendly and low carb. Pair with walnuts and mushrooms and you have a savory spin on a breakfast classic.
- 6 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 588 g cauliflower, ~1 medium head
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt to taste
1. Heat oven to 400°F and line a cookie sheet with foil. Combine the sliced mushrooms, minced garlic, rosemary, walnuts, and smoked paprika in a small dish and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat and season with salt.
2. Spread the mixture evenly on the cookie sheet and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. Process one head of cauliflower florets in a food processor by pulsing until very fine.
4. Steam the processed cauliflower in a medium pot, covered, with ½ cup water for 5 minutes or until the mixture is slightly tender. You don’t want it to be too soft since it will need to resemble grits.
5. Pour half and half into the cauliflower grits, stir and simmer on medium-low heat for 3 minutes. This is just enough time to heat the milk.
6. Stir in the sharp cheddar and butter and reduce heat to low until the mixture is creamy and well combined. Season with salt to taste. If you like your grits runny add another ¼ c. water.
7. Remove roasting pan from the oven once your mushrooms are soft and the edges are a deep brown.
8. Serve the cauliflower grits hot, topped with the mushroom mixture and extra butter if desired!
This makes a total of 4 servings of Roasted Mushroom and Walnut Cauliflower Grits. Each serving comes out to be 455 Calories, 36.5g Fats, 11.28g Net Carbs, and 15.28g Protein.